The Quality Castings Company began operations in 1933,
under the management of Hiram C. Nicholas. A strong believer in the value of profit sharing and the free enterprise system, Mr. Nicholas established a cash profit sharing plan for employees in 1945 that is still in place today.
In 1957, Quality Castings started making ductile iron castings
in addition to the existing gray iron operation, and a magnesium department that was in operation until 1991. Ductile iron operations changed in 1965 when the foundry’s small Cupola was replaced by two 5-ton coreless induction furnaces. The company expanded by acquiring National Pattern Manufacturing in 1966 as a wholly-owned subsidiary, and today National Pattern is a fully-absorbed part of Quality Castings. Melt shop operations changed again in 1974 when the company completely converted to electric melting by installing three 15-ton coreless induction furnaces.
Also in 1974, Quality Casings installed a high-volume
Osborn Inliner molding machine,
which is fed by a 20-ton holding furnace. This was followed by the installation of an Osborn 722 molding machine in 1986. The company broadened its scope of services by installing a CNC machining operation in 1995, then installed another new molding line in 2001, this one a Georg Fischer Disa line capable of producing castings up to 600 pounds.
Quality Castings expanded again in 2007
by purchasing a neighboring factory which is now used for shipping, pattern and core box storage, storage of raw materials, and the automated dip paint operation that was installed in 2011. The construction of a new grinding and finishing facility in 2014 brings us to present day, where the company has over 400,000 square feet under roof across the 3 plants located in Orrville, Ohio.
Grades and Classes of Iron Poured at Quality Castings:
Gray Iron: Class 25, Class 30, Class 35, Class 40
Ductile Iron: 60-40-18, 65-45-12, 80-55-06, 100-70-03, ADI